Skip to main content

Indy Monumental Half Marathon Race Recap

Here's my recap of this past weekend's half marathon at Indy Monumental. Results are here. First I'll do the play-by-play, and then I'll give my overall reactions to the race.

The day started off with less-than-ideal conditions -- starting line temperatures hovering around freezing with a steady (sometimes gusting) wind. It was a solid 10-15 degrees colder than it has been at any point this fall, so I was bundled up with a hat, gloves, and a light long sleeve under my singlet. Fun stuff.

If the temperature and wind did anything, though, they slowed the really really fast guys down. So instead of people gunning for times below 1:04, everyone was content to settle into the pack and run relatively relaxed 5:00 per-mile pace (which is a 1:05:30 finishing time). From the time the gun went off, there was a pack of close to 15 guys, all running consistent 5:00 miles. Our first mile was 5:04, and then at every next mile interval we were right on pace (give or take a few seconds each mile): 10:00, 15:00, 20:00, 25:00, 30:00, 35:00, etc...it felt like we could run like that ad infinitum.

During the early miles, I just tried to focus on staying relaxed and out of trouble. Since it was so windy, I think people tried to pack up as tightly as possible, and so inevitable a few legs were tangled and a couple people fell at various points during the race. One of the guys took a spill right in front of me, which brought back memories of hurdling fallen bodies in cross country races. So to stay out of the fray and protected from the wind, I just tucked safely into the back of the pack and let everyone else do all that work. No use dealing with all the stress of jockeying for position in the crowd.

The miles just felt effortless for most of the first half of the race. We went through 10k in about 31:05, right on 5:00 pace and faster than I had run for the Zero Prostate Cancer race a couple months earlier. Any faster and I'd be struggling, but I was confident I could hit this pace all day.

Between miles 7 and 8, around where the half marathon split off from the marathon course, the eventual winner started bringing down the pace and stringing out the tight pack. It was a surge so much as it was a gradual ratcheting down of the pace. As the pace dropped, I tried to hang onto leaders, but I eventually found myself towards the back of the line. Miles 8, 9, and some of 10 were a rough patch for me, as I could see the line stretching farther and farther in front of me. This is where I've struggled in the past, and this is where little mental games came into play. Just make it on pace to the next mile, I told myself. Just to the next mile. Don't think about how far to the finish, just this mile. 5:00, ok, good, that wasn't too bad. Now go do it again.

As the 10th mile was ending, and the finish was less than a 5k away, I could see people up ahead starting to come back to me. I survived the rough patch and used catching them as motivation. One person, one stride at a time. Then onto the next person. Just a few miles ago I was struggling; now I drew strength from their suffering. Running near empty, I still felt strongest near the finish.

I ended up coming through the line in 7th place with a time of 1:05:28. Nearly a two-minute PR.

As for my reactions of the race, I know that it is a breakthrough race. The time certainly was, considering my previous half PR was 1:07:11. But it doesn't feel like a breakthrough, which I suppose is a good thing.

It feels more like just another step towards the Olympic Trials standard. In a fall season of progress, this was just another rung on the ladder. I said going into the race that I would run 1:06, plus or minus a minute, and that's exactly what I did. (Though it is nice to be on the 'minus' side of the guesstimate.)

I figure I always knew I had race like this in me, but just hadn't had the right training consistency and race conditions to do it. So running mid-1:05 doesn't feel like a breakthrough, it feels more like a validation of what I know I'm capable of.

That said, it is time that I'm really excited about. Previously, I was two minutes away from the OT standard of sub-1:05, which is very far at this level. Now, I'm within spitting distance of the standard. Give me a good training block and competitive race, and there's no reason I can't do it in the near future. I've hardly even done much half-specific training, only 2 total sessions -- one of mile repeats and one of two-mile repeats. I can't wait to see what I can do with a little more under my belt! So I'm still looking forward to racing at the US Half Marathon Championships in Houston. If there's a time and place to continue this momentum and take a shot at the standard, that's the place to do it.

And one more thing about Indy Monumental: what a well-run event. It can be so hard to find quality races with quality competition, so to have one within 90 minutes of Cincinnati, where 15 guys are all running 5-minute pace together, so just fantastic. There aren't too many opportunities like that close by, so it's nice to take advantage of the ones that do a good job. From having a hassle-free technical meeting (no expo!), to a private warmup / cooldown / gear check area (that was warm!), to the loaded competition, Indy Monumental was a top-notch event. It's nice to see events that cater to both elite competition as well as mass participation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Base Training the Lydiard Way

This is a post I've been meaning to write for a while, but just haven't really gotten around to it. This is for anyone using the summer to gear up for a fall season of racing, whether that's a marathon, road races, or cross country. That said, this is especially for you high school and college athletes. Summer is the most important time of the season. It's when you build your base -- everything that's to come later in the fall is determined by the quality of this base. In fact, some might even say that your end-of-season peak is limited by how well you trained over the summer. Arthur Lydiard believed this. And his philosophies still form the foundation of modern-day distance training. You've probably heard (and maybe internalized) many of the common critiques of Lydiard-style training: it's old and outdated , or it's too hard, or, most common, it's just a lot of long slow distance. And low slow distance makes for long slow runners . The lat

Why I Love Running At Withrow

One of my favorite places to do workouts and strides and general fast stuff is the track at Withrow High School in Hyde Park. No, it's not because of the newly renovated surface. No, it's not because it's a perfect 10-minute warmup and cooldown jog from my house. No, it's not because I'm a nerd and it has markings for both a 1600 and a mile. No, it's not because the school building forms a perfect "L" around the homestretch and first turn, sheltering the field from any drastic wind. No, it's not because I spent four years during college running workouts there. Actually, wait, that is part of it. The reason I love Withrow's track so much can be summed up like this: it's a true public track. If you've ever been to the track, then you know how packed it can get with people using it. And it's not just Withrow High School teams and random individuals -- the track is also regularly used by many other local high schools witho

Indy Monumental HM Race Recap; Or, I'm Going to the Trials!

Hey blogosphere, sorry for the month-long hiatus. I got a little-stitious in the lead up to Indy Monumental and was worried that I was doing a little too much talking (well, writing) and not enough training. This is the race report I posted on reddit recapping the race, so I thought I'd re-post it here as well. Hey reddit! I'm mostly a lurker here, but I raced Saturday morning in Indianapolis and wanted to share. The TL;DR: I ran 1:04:33 for the half marathon, which qualifies me for the US Olympic Marathon Trials in LA this February. I also got 3rd overall, which was pretty cool, too. So anyway, here goes... But first, a shout-out to the staff at Monumental Those guys know how to put on a top-notch race. It's so refreshing to here the rhetoric coming out of the organization that says, "we're trying to be a professional event; we understand that most people want a fun event, but we also understand that some people want to come and  race  the damn thing; we