Skip to main content

MILE BY MILE: 16

Actually, they might be coming back to me. Or, at least a couple of runners are.


It looks like two guys are starting to yo-yo off the back of the lead pack. A gap will open up, then they will surge a bit and latch back onto the pack. Then they will drift off again -- just a little more this time -- before accelerating again and making contact.


Surging and slowing -- that is a difficult way to race.


A third time comes when the two runners fall off the back, but this time they have no response. Their gap to the lead group grows one stride at a time; 2 meters, then 5, 10, and pretty soon I come to a realization: these two are coming back to me.


This is it! The first two professional casualties arrive as a pair. This is why you keep the lasso tight, I tell myself.


This is also why you race with your head up. You can see when people start coming back to you, and then you can respond.


I can’t quite tell who they are yet, but I can judge their stride rate compared to mine. It is a quick slowdown for these two. Each stride is heavy, labored, and slow.


This happened quickly, but that is how it usually goes in a marathon. When -- not if -- you fall off pace, it is not a gradual slide. Rather, it is more like a cliff: one minute you are racing along at pace, maybe labored a little bit, and then the next your legs are locking up and your breathing becomes labored and your day is over. Just like that.


It wasn’t much beyond this point in my first marathon when I fell off the--


Stop. No negative thoughts right now. I’m bringing these two guys back.


As I race closer to the pair, I sort of can make out who they are. No Americans, which is nice -- hey, they may be my competitors at the moment, but I’m still a fan and I want to see my countrymen do well at America’s premier race. It is an Ethiopian and a Japanese athlete coming back to me.


It only takes me a minute to make psychological contact with the pair. Admittedly, I have been consciously surging since I noticed I could catch the pair.


As I close on them, I can tell the Ethiopian is falling off of the Japanese. He is slowing considerably. What had been race pace is turning into a plod, then a jog, and now -- could it be? -- a walk!


I glance towards him as I fly by, and he is slowly, gingerly, bending over to sit on the side of the road. He doesn’t look up from the pavement.


Before I realize it, I have almost run up on the Japanese athlete. He runs on the white line on the left side of the road, his face contorted into a pained grimace. I continue past on the double yellow. Neither of us acknowledges the other.


Nothing helps break through the Suck quite like passing people. In the second half of a race, it is always better to be the passer than then passee. Being overtaken can crush your spirits, but crushing someone else’s spirit can lift yours. It is a competition, after all.


Despite a long grind uphill for much of the second half, mile 16 flashes by in what has felt like the shortest mile since the ninth. I look at my split -- 5:02 -- and it is no wonder this mile has felt so quick: it has been the fastest since the downhill Wellesley mile. As the gradual hill levels off, I hope that I didn’t burn it just a little too hard chasing those guys down.


At this moment, a song from college wedges its way into my head. Not the whole song, per se, but just a chorus on repeat, driven by a thumping drum beat. “Don’t slow down, don’t slow dow-o-o-own, don’t slow down.”

I am not slowing. I’m gaining on the leaders. I can bring them back.

**********

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Base Training the Lydiard Way

This is a post I've been meaning to write for a while, but just haven't really gotten around to it. This is for anyone using the summer to gear up for a fall season of racing, whether that's a marathon, road races, or cross country. That said, this is especially for you high school and college athletes. Summer is the most important time of the season. It's when you build your base -- everything that's to come later in the fall is determined by the quality of this base. In fact, some might even say that your end-of-season peak is limited by how well you trained over the summer. Arthur Lydiard believed this. And his philosophies still form the foundation of modern-day distance training. You've probably heard (and maybe internalized) many of the common critiques of Lydiard-style training: it's old and outdated , or it's too hard, or, most common, it's just a lot of long slow distance. And low slow distance makes for long slow runners . The lat

MILE BY MILE: Cooldown

I blacked out for just a second. The sudden stop after hours of racing drained all the blood from my head. When I come to, I am being held up by a race official. I am also crying -- or, at least, tears are dripping down my cheeks -- and I don’t know why. Relief at finally being done with this goddamn race? Joy over racing faster and placing better than I ever thought possible? Disappointment about coming so close and then blowing it? All I know right now is that fatigue is just an emotional response to stress, and after 26.2 miles of racing and pacing and surging and slowing and blisters and puking, the fatigue is unbearable. “I’m sorry,” I say, on repeat. “I’m sorry.” To the official holding me up. To anyone around me. To no one in particular. To myself. I don’t any have any other words. “First American!” A disembodied voice around me shouts. “Who is it?” “I-- I don’t know… Not one of our elites!” “Well, someone look up his bib number!” “Pour some water over t

Why I Love Running At Withrow

One of my favorite places to do workouts and strides and general fast stuff is the track at Withrow High School in Hyde Park. No, it's not because of the newly renovated surface. No, it's not because it's a perfect 10-minute warmup and cooldown jog from my house. No, it's not because I'm a nerd and it has markings for both a 1600 and a mile. No, it's not because the school building forms a perfect "L" around the homestretch and first turn, sheltering the field from any drastic wind. No, it's not because I spent four years during college running workouts there. Actually, wait, that is part of it. The reason I love Withrow's track so much can be summed up like this: it's a true public track. If you've ever been to the track, then you know how packed it can get with people using it. And it's not just Withrow High School teams and random individuals -- the track is also regularly used by many other local high schools witho