Skip to main content

MILE BY MILE: 24

Who even knows what matters anymore? The entire concept of road racing is an absurdity. “Hey, let’s close down the street around town while a bunch of scantily-clad amateurs parade around. They’ll find this absolutely fascinating, and they’ll each pay hundreds of dollars just for the opportunity to subject themselves to needless suffering. Oh, and even more people will marvel at the spectacle and they’ll show up to watch people run by. A two-plus-hour race to see someone for 30 whole seconds!


“And next year, we can do it all over again! We’ll make a killing!”


What the hell am I doing out here?


Each stride is a contradiction between sharp pain and utter numbness. The blister on my right foot are completely drowning out my entire left leg. One I am painfully aware of; the other exists outside of my consciousness.


I can’t tell if I’m limping because I am feeling too much pain or not enough.


Don’t slow down / Don’t slow down.


There it is again. It’s a never ending song, just like this godforsaken race.


I am pretty sure that I am starting to hallucinate. ‘Pretty sure,’ because I can’t really be 100% sure about anything right now, other than the fact that every fiber in my being just. Wants. To. Stop. Running.


The double yellow line is starting to waver. It fades in and out of focus. Two lines merge into one, and then separate back into two. I don’t know whether I am seeing double or whether this is normal.


Nothing is normal anymore. Running for two hours straight isn’t normal. Flying across the country for a glorified fun run isn’t normal. Paying $165 to do something I could very well do in my own hometown any time I want to isn’t normal. Watching people torture themselves like this isn’t normal.


I can’t see the lead van anymore. I can make out the gold singlet a steady distance in front of me. I can’t see anyone in that singlet.


I look up. I see … the Citgo sign? That can’t be right. I’m not supposed to see that until the final mile. But it’s not the final mile. Is it?


No, I’m pretty sure. It’s the final mile of my third two-mile segment. But there the sign stands: tall and white and red, just like my shoe, taunting us with the finish.


It disappears.


Can I please, I plead to to myself, can I please just stop running? Or just slow down? There’s no shame in jogging it out.


But my legs keep churning. Newton’s first law: “Every object in a state of uniform motion will remain in that state of motion unless acted on by an outside force.” Is it any coincidence that we ran through the town of Newton? What the fuck am I even thinking right now?


“Holy shit! Let’s go Eliot!” A voice from the crowd, the first individual I have heard all race.


Am I hearing things now, too?


There it is again: “I told you this weather would be your equalizer! You can win the damn thing!”


That can’t…


It couldn’t…


I mean, it is a school day back home…


I think that was Amelia! I’m pretty sure…


That voice -- the faceless, personless voice -- snaps me back into the moment. My vision clears, and I regain what little focus I have left.


Gold Singlet is just 10 meters ahead. His lead over me isn’t growing. His head tilts to one side. He is in the hurt locker. So am I.


I split this mile in 5:01. I slowed down one second.


Don’t slow down.

There it is again. It always comes back around.

**********

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Base Training the Lydiard Way

This is a post I've been meaning to write for a while, but just haven't really gotten around to it. This is for anyone using the summer to gear up for a fall season of racing, whether that's a marathon, road races, or cross country. That said, this is especially for you high school and college athletes. Summer is the most important time of the season. It's when you build your base -- everything that's to come later in the fall is determined by the quality of this base. In fact, some might even say that your end-of-season peak is limited by how well you trained over the summer. Arthur Lydiard believed this. And his philosophies still form the foundation of modern-day distance training. You've probably heard (and maybe internalized) many of the common critiques of Lydiard-style training: it's old and outdated , or it's too hard, or, most common, it's just a lot of long slow distance. And low slow distance makes for long slow runners . The lat

MILE BY MILE: Cooldown

I blacked out for just a second. The sudden stop after hours of racing drained all the blood from my head. When I come to, I am being held up by a race official. I am also crying -- or, at least, tears are dripping down my cheeks -- and I don’t know why. Relief at finally being done with this goddamn race? Joy over racing faster and placing better than I ever thought possible? Disappointment about coming so close and then blowing it? All I know right now is that fatigue is just an emotional response to stress, and after 26.2 miles of racing and pacing and surging and slowing and blisters and puking, the fatigue is unbearable. “I’m sorry,” I say, on repeat. “I’m sorry.” To the official holding me up. To anyone around me. To no one in particular. To myself. I don’t any have any other words. “First American!” A disembodied voice around me shouts. “Who is it?” “I-- I don’t know… Not one of our elites!” “Well, someone look up his bib number!” “Pour some water over t

Why I Love Running At Withrow

One of my favorite places to do workouts and strides and general fast stuff is the track at Withrow High School in Hyde Park. No, it's not because of the newly renovated surface. No, it's not because it's a perfect 10-minute warmup and cooldown jog from my house. No, it's not because I'm a nerd and it has markings for both a 1600 and a mile. No, it's not because the school building forms a perfect "L" around the homestretch and first turn, sheltering the field from any drastic wind. No, it's not because I spent four years during college running workouts there. Actually, wait, that is part of it. The reason I love Withrow's track so much can be summed up like this: it's a true public track. If you've ever been to the track, then you know how packed it can get with people using it. And it's not just Withrow High School teams and random individuals -- the track is also regularly used by many other local high schools witho