Skip to main content

MILE BY MILE: 23

Pen versus pencil / Don’t slow down.


An endless chorus on an endless loop in an endless race. I’m having trouble focusing my thoughts now: they start at the chorus, then veer to my surroundings before checking in with my legs, and finally rounding back to the song at the same point where I started.


Glycogen depletion is nipping at the base of my brain. At this point, I am downing as much Gatorade as I can. Most of it just gets on my ratty homemade jersey, as if it couldn’t get any more soaked. At least the wetness is helping me manage the heat.


Man, what the hell am I doing here?


Despite the growing crowd, I am surrounding by a feeling of crushing loneliness. When rational thought fades late in a race, raw emotion takes over.


I trained by myself all winter for this day. I flew to Boston alone -- the first time I’ve ever flown to a race without a team. I slept solo in an overpriced hotel room with two beds, which just added insult to injury. I knew no one on the ominous bus ride out to Hopkinton, and I interacted with no one in the Athlete’s Village. 30,000 fellow runners in this damn event, and I have no one.


Hell, I don’t even have a real job. I scraped together just enough funds for the trip -- including a god damn $165 entry fee! -- by substitute teaching. I’m not even technically employed by the school district; I am just an individual contractor.


That guy in the gold singlet, still ten meters ahead of me? He’s paid to run. All he has to do is wake up, train, rest, train again, and rest some more. He can literally eat, sleep, and breathe running. I’m sure he has a team of coaches, physios, and managers helping him out. Not to mention all the other athletes that surely exist in his training group, pushing each other to be better every day.


Those two Kenyans running away with the race? They’re probably millionaires back home.


It hits me, crushingly, that none of the spectators are cheering for me. As the race has progressed, I have noticed more and more people out on the course, and with the exception of the Wellesely mile and Heartbreak hill, they have gotten louder and more excited each mile.


But they are not cheering for anyone in particular -- they are cheering for everyone. They are cheering for the spectacle, for the race itself. It doesn’t matter to these people who wins or how it plays out or what we are going through; all that matters is the event.


Then the realization hits: they’re not cheering for us, they’re cheering for the race. In the end, the marathon always wins. And they are on its side. Those sadistic motherfuckers.


What the fuck is the point of spectating if there is no one in particular you are rooting for? I usually race better with a crowd than without one, but now I just wish they would disappear and shut the hell up.


What I wouldn’t kill to have Amelia here in Boston.


As the course veers left through Cleveland Circle and onto Beacon Street, my right foot rolls over one of the cut-outs in a spider web of in-ground trolley tracks. My knee buckles and my opposite shoe scrape my calf, but I remain upright. I curse myself for losing focus on the race at hand.


My legs have been so locked in to this pace that it only takes one stride to recover, but something doesn’t feel quite the same.


My right foot is rubbed raw, heel and pinky toe both. Every time my foot strikes the ground, another little layer of flesh is torn off. Every time my foot recovers, lifting off the ground and following the pendulum of my knee, it aches just a little more. I can’t believe I continue to have blood to shed.


Tear, ache; tear, ache; repeat ad infinitum.


This is what my race has become: isolation in a sea of people; self-flagellation in a sport of health and fitness.

Don’t slow down. The chorus returns. I didn’t slow down, that was another mile in 5:00. Although, does it even matter anymore?

**********

Click here for the previous chapter: Mile 22

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Base Training the Lydiard Way

This is a post I've been meaning to write for a while, but just haven't really gotten around to it. This is for anyone using the summer to gear up for a fall season of racing, whether that's a marathon, road races, or cross country. That said, this is especially for you high school and college athletes. Summer is the most important time of the season. It's when you build your base -- everything that's to come later in the fall is determined by the quality of this base. In fact, some might even say that your end-of-season peak is limited by how well you trained over the summer. Arthur Lydiard believed this. And his philosophies still form the foundation of modern-day distance training. You've probably heard (and maybe internalized) many of the common critiques of Lydiard-style training: it's old and outdated , or it's too hard, or, most common, it's just a lot of long slow distance. And low slow distance makes for long slow runners . The lat

MILE BY MILE: Cooldown

I blacked out for just a second. The sudden stop after hours of racing drained all the blood from my head. When I come to, I am being held up by a race official. I am also crying -- or, at least, tears are dripping down my cheeks -- and I don’t know why. Relief at finally being done with this goddamn race? Joy over racing faster and placing better than I ever thought possible? Disappointment about coming so close and then blowing it? All I know right now is that fatigue is just an emotional response to stress, and after 26.2 miles of racing and pacing and surging and slowing and blisters and puking, the fatigue is unbearable. “I’m sorry,” I say, on repeat. “I’m sorry.” To the official holding me up. To anyone around me. To no one in particular. To myself. I don’t any have any other words. “First American!” A disembodied voice around me shouts. “Who is it?” “I-- I don’t know… Not one of our elites!” “Well, someone look up his bib number!” “Pour some water over t

Why I Love Running At Withrow

One of my favorite places to do workouts and strides and general fast stuff is the track at Withrow High School in Hyde Park. No, it's not because of the newly renovated surface. No, it's not because it's a perfect 10-minute warmup and cooldown jog from my house. No, it's not because I'm a nerd and it has markings for both a 1600 and a mile. No, it's not because the school building forms a perfect "L" around the homestretch and first turn, sheltering the field from any drastic wind. No, it's not because I spent four years during college running workouts there. Actually, wait, that is part of it. The reason I love Withrow's track so much can be summed up like this: it's a true public track. If you've ever been to the track, then you know how packed it can get with people using it. And it's not just Withrow High School teams and random individuals -- the track is also regularly used by many other local high schools witho